“When you are willing to invest in an employee, the employee is more real to the organization, and it can have mutually synergistic benefits.” – Lawrence Krubner
In this episode, I interviewed Lawrence Krubner, a technical co-founder of three startups, consultant, and author, and we talked about the importance of one-on-one meetings and why he thinks it is the most basic and important skill of management.
Here Are Some of the Key Points Discussed About Maximizing Potential:
- When conducting meetings, it is best to start with open-ended questions that allow people to share their thoughts and ideas. This way, you can uncover important information about what is happening in the business or within the team.
- It is essential to encourage people to express their concerns and provide more details to get past any vagueness. By asking follow-up questions, you can clarify any misunderstandings and get to the truth of the situation.
- One-on-one meetings are ideal for honest communication because they provide a safe space for people to share their views without worrying about any third person in the meeting. This way, both parties can share their point of view, leading to a more productive conversation.
- Large meetings can be counterproductive and lead to a waste of time. It is best to limit the number of people invited to a meeting to ensure that the meeting stays focused and productive.
- In remote environments, it is common for people to resort to passive-aggressive behavior instead of addressing issues directly. In such cases, it is essential to ask for a one-on-one meeting and express your concerns respectfully.
- Mentoring programs are an effective way to invest in individuals and help them develop their technical or social skills. When you mentor someone, you can uncover hidden talent and help the organization discover new capabilities. Mentoring programs benefit both the employee and the organization by fostering a sense of investment and development.
You can subscribe to this podcast through any of these podcast platforms:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- Podcast Addict
- Radio Public
- Subscribe by Email
Land a Job You Love
I’ve created a new masterclass to help those out of a job or seeking a new job to help them get hired fast. Go watch my FREE Engineering Career Accelerator Masterclass by clicking on the button below!