“Unleash your true self in any environment. Your unique capabilities are adaptable and powerfule when harnessed effectively.” – Donnell Duncan
In this episode, I interviewed with Donnell Duncan, P.E., S.E., an accomplished author, captivating speaker, and associate vice president at Arcadis, and we talked about some of the challenges and opportunities that engineers encounter in our rapidly evolving marketplace, and how you can adapt to these changes by thinking strategically.
Here Are Some of the Key Points Discussed About How to Think Strategically and Be a Successful Engineer:
- The engineering industry faces challenges with a competitive job market, requiring employers to prioritize employee needs and diversity while coping with tighter profit margins. Non-technical skills are increasingly valued alongside technical expertise.
- The book “A New Mindskin – Innovation, Creativity, and Strategic Thinking for the Marketplace” was inspired by the transformative impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, emphasizing the need for individuals to adapt and embrace change. It teaches the importance of flexible thinking, transferable skills, strategic mindset, networking, and self-reinvention to succeed in a rapidly evolving environment, where clinging to outdated approaches can leave one behind.
- Transferable skills, such as analytical thinking, can be applied across industries, allowing engineers to adapt and excel in different environments, whether it’s using structural engineering principles to deliver a message at a church or applying the same approach to business ownership. Core principles like integrity and professional ethics are also transferrable, alongside practical and non-technical skills that contribute to success regardless of the specific field of application.
- Developing a strategic thinking approach as an engineer requires entering projects early, understanding the big picture, stepping out of comfort zones, and engaging with diverse perspectives to stimulate creative thinking and growth.
- To thrive as an engineer, focus on building a strong personal brand aligned with industry trends, acquiring relevant qualifications and skills, and positioning yourself as a thought leader in emerging areas. This proactive approach ensures you stay ahead and prepared for future industry developments.
You can subscribe to this podcast through any of these podcast platforms:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- Podcast Addict
- Radio Public
- Subscribe by Email
Land a Job You Love
I’ve created a new masterclass to help those out of a job or seeking a new job to help them get hired fast. Go watch my FREE Engineering Career Accelerator Masterclass by clicking on the button below!