“A fixed mindset is going to hold you back from a ton of growth opportunity and unlocking some of your potential.” – Jeff Perry
In this podcast, I was a guest of Engineering our Future podcast hosted by Luis Duque and I share about my new book The Intentional Engineer. Our discussion focused on not only the lessons from the book but also the journey from the first word to the printed book.
Here are some key points from the episode:
- The importance of intentional living: The book tells us that engineers often let their careers happen to them rather than proactively shaping them. It emphasizes the importance of setting goals, making choices, and taking action to create a fulfilling life and career. A career with intention is a career with meaning.
- Finding your purpose: The book will help you identify your values, strengths, and passions, and then use that information to find work that is aligned with your purpose.
- Discover your genius zones: The book provides practical advice on how to find your genius zones. This is a simple framework to help you learn what you are a genius at and ways to leverage those skills.
- Building a strong network: Jeff emphasizes the importance of building relationships with other engineers and professionals. This can help you find mentors and collaborators who can support your career growth.
- Creating a healthy work-life balance: Finally, acknowledge the demands of your engineering career, but also make time for your personal life and health. This includes getting enough sleep, eating healthy, exercising, and spending time with loved ones.